Inter-American University of Puerto Rico (IAUPR) is the second largest private, non-profit institution of Puerto Rico and has a Christian heritage and an ecumenical tradition. It was initially founded in 1912, and in 1944 the institution was accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, becoming the first four-year liberal arts college to be so accredited outside the continental limits of the United States. The Ponce Campus was initially established as an Educational Extension Center of the San German Campus in 1962 in downtown Ponce. Three years later, it became a Regional College because of its significant growth in both academic offerings and student enrollment. The Campus was first accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) in 1962. In 1985 the college was relocated to its current location. After three decades of academic development, diversification in student services, and infrastructure expansions, it reached University Campus status with fiscal and academic autonomy in 1992. Since then, it has been under the leadership of two chancellors: Prof. Marilina Wayland (1992-1997) and Dr. Vilma E. Colón (1997 - present). The Ponce Campus is one of nine (9) campuses of Inter American University of Puerto Rico. The campus's Mission Statement includes offering at the school, technical, vocational, professional, undergraduate, and graduate levels in the traditional in-classroom, distance, and hybrid modalities with an international approach pursuant to the realities of a local and global context. The Ponce Campus is located on the southern coast of Puerto Rico. Its geographical location adjoining the PR 52 highway facilitates easy access to the campus. The location also provides access to the city and its most important service areas, government buildings, hospitals and health agencies, shopping malls. It is located about three to five minutes away from the Mercedita International Airport.