Livingstone College is a private, coeducational, residential, church-related, and historically black college, located in the city of Salisbury, the county seat of Rowan, North Carolina. The campus is within an hour's drive of two major metropolitan areas: Charlotte; and the Piedmont Triad of Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and High Point. Comprising four Divisions, namely the Division of Business; Division of Education, Psychology, and Social Work; Division of Liberal Arts and Humanities; and Division of Mathematics and Sciences, the College offers the Associate of Arts in Liberal Studies, Associate Arts in Music, Associate of Arts in Sacred Music, Associate of Science in Culinary Arts, Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, and Bachelor of Social Work degrees in 26 major fields and certificate programs in Culinary Arts, Event Planning, and Lodging Operations. Largely supported by the African Methodist Episcopal Zion (A.M.E.Z.) Church, it provides an education to approximately 1200 students from over 30 states and several foreign countries. For over 146 years, Livingstone College has been providing academic operations that are entirely nonsectarian and open to men and women of potential, regardless of their race, religion, or national origin. HISTORY Livingstone College and Hood Theological Seminary were originally founded as Zion Wesley Institute by a group of A.M.E. Zion ministers for the purpose of training ministers in the Cabarrus County town of Concord, North Carolina in 1879. After three brief sessions, directed by principals Bishop C. R. Harris and Professor A.S. Richardson, the Institute ultimately closed in Concord. In 1881, Dr. Joseph Charles Price and Bishop J. W. Hood changed their roles as delegates to the Ecumenical Conference and became fund-raisers with the mission to re-establish Zion Wesley Institute. The Rowan County town of Salisbury, just 20 miles northeast of Concord, gave the Trustees a generous donation of $1,000 and an invitation to relocate the school in Salisbury. They accepted both gifts, and the College re-opened in Salisbury in 1882 with Dr. Price as President. The new site was J. M. Gray's farm called Delta Grove, which consisted of one building and 40 acres of land. In 1887, by an act of the legislature, the name Zion Wesley Institute was changed to Livingstone College in honor of David Livingstone, the great Christian missionary, philanthropist, and explorer.