What are the steps in the college application process?
Keep in mind that signing up for college is a multistep process. Among other key steps, you must fill out a standard application, acquire crucial support documents, and write personal essays. Although schools have different requirements, here are the main steps of the college application process:
- Create a list of colleges you're interested in.
- Research and visit schools to narrow down the list.
- Fill out the FAFSA®, and consider finances and scholarship opportunities.
- Get letters of recommendations, if required.
- Take college admission tests.
- Write your college application essay, if required.
- Complete your online application(s).
- If any of your target schools have their own institutional applications, complete those.
- Check and recheck your application documents before submitting them.