Get Ahead This Summer
You can take steps toward your college goals without sacrificing fun or relaxation.
Take 60 Seconds to Plan Your Summer
Hear what you can do this summer to stand out to college admission reps.
Your Summer Grind Checklist
Advice from a College Admissions Rep
What matters to colleges?
- Academic history
- In-school and extracurricular activities and accomplishments
- Your admissions essays and personal statements
Types of Summer Experiences You Should Consider
- Summer Programs and Courses
- Personal Projects
How to choose what to do?
- First, decide what you’re passionate about and what skills you have.
- Enroll in a summer program, internship, volunteer opportunity, or do a personal project connected to your passion area.
- If you need to prioritize making money, it’s OK to get a job!
- Find the value: Think of how that job connects to your passions and the lessons it provided. Does it allow you to explore leadership, teamwork, connecting with people, customer service, or another area you’re interested in?
- Consider taking high school courses or community college courses over the summer to improve your GPA or get ahead academically.
- If you have any classes you didn’t pass, make it a priority to retake it over the summer.
Real Talk Rewind
Wondering what you should be doing this summer to get ahead? Watch our Summer Grind event to get all the advice our experts shared on the steps you can take toward your college goals while enjoying vacation and prioritizing joy and rest.