Major: Entrepreneurial Studies
Have you ever said to yourself, “You know, I can think of a better way to do that” -- and then actually done something about it? If so, you already have the basic ingredients for success as an entrepreneur.
These businesspeople do whatever it takes to bring the world the latest products and services -- whether it's the next best computer software or ballpoint pen. Becoming an entrepreneur is one way to improve people’s lives.
Entrepreneurship majors learn how to build, promote, and manage their own businesses. They also learn how to apply their creativity and energy to make existing businesses more productive.
“Entrepreneurship can be emotionally demanding because you must make a personal commitment …that you will create value or improve social conditions.”Stephen Spinelli, Jr., Professor and Director, Arthur M. Blank Center for Entrepreneurship, Babson College
Are You Ready To...?
- Work with real-life customers
- Develop a business plan that describes your idea in detail
- Brainstorm ideas with team members
- Create an actual company
- Research companies
It Helps To Be...
A good communicator and a creative, well-organized, persuasive leader. This is a great major if you’re always thinking of a better way to do something -- and can convince others that you’re right.
- Is the school of business accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business?
- How many professors are in the department? Make sure you’ll get the attention you need.
- Does the program teach courses in starting new businesses?
- On which areas of entrepreneurship does the program focus?
- Does the department hold student business plan competitions?
- What are recent grads doing now?
Did You Know?
George Washington Carver was a world-class innovator who transformed the peanut industry: he came up with more than three hundred uses for the crop, from pickles to ink.
Nearly all entrepreneurship programs will require you to take a class in developing a business plan -- the backbone behind any idea. Your plan will discuss your dream business, your goals, and how you plan to achieve them.
A plan will show other professionals how good your idea really is. It will also come in handy when you go looking for money to get started. Banks and investors will want to see it before handing over the funds.